Eyonix has laid down the proposed changes for warriors in the upcoming 3.1 patch.
- Changing stances now has a much reduced cost: you lose a maximum of 20 rage (10 with Tactical Mastery). For example, if you have 100 rage and change stances, you will have 80 rage remaining. If you have 10 rage and change stances, all of your rage is lost. In addition, we may change the penalties associated with some stances.
- You now gain rage when damage done to you is absorbed, such as through a Power Word: Shield.
- Blood Frenzy now causes 2/4% physical damage done.
- Sunder Armor (and similar debuffs) now reduces armor by 4% per application, and is now a single rank. Creature armor has been globally reduced so that debuffed targets should take about the same damage from physical attacks that they did before this change. The net effect should be that this debuff is slightly less mandatory in PvE and is not disproportionately more powerful against cloth targets in PvP.
- We are also adding increased damage to Arms, possibly through Overpower or Slam.
- We are also looking at granting rage when the warrior blocks, dodges or parries.
Six items, some raptrous, some bland for an Arms Warrior.
- The Stance Dance no longer a rage hog.
(Tangent: I wish there was a specific achievment for a warrior to do The Safety Dance in all three stances.)
– Obviously helpful in Arenas and other PvP where jumping between Battle and ‘zerker sances is necessary to combat fear-happy classes like warlocks. Also good for hopping to ‘zerker stance to pummel (like I do on Kel’thuzad.)
- Rage when damage is absorbed.
– Yay for more rage when paired with a Disc Priest.
– Yay for no longer educating newbie priests about the counterintuitive “Shielding a warrior on a pull is bad.” (Can rage-starve them. DPS pulls aggro on adds.)
– Does this also include Earth Shield (No, it doesn’t.) or the buff from [Essence of Gossamer]? Essence is already an OP tanking trinket.
- Blood Frenzy is more Uber. – This is an Arms talent, folks. Buffs for Arms! Hooray!
- Sunder Armor changes & mob armor nerfs
– Good: This seems to be aimed at groups that are using non-warrior tanks (like Fire Team Alpha, my Naxx10 group that has a Druid and Pally as OT/MT)
– Good: I don’t have to be as concerned that I’m not working sunder into my rotation if there’s not a prot warrior around.
– Good: Any Armor Pen that a tank has (DKs and Druids, I’m looking at you here) will be more effective.
– Bad: There’s a slight chance this will further make Armor Pen. the red-headed stepchild of all melee dps stats. depends on how they implement it.
- MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS FOR ARMS!! – via two of our three “musts” in our rotation; not something I’m gonna have to shoehorn in! Thank you, Devs.
- Unimportant since I play protection like once a month. (Until Dual Specs, that is…)
- Good for switching to Defensive in a hurry to try to offtank an add when shite hitteth the fan…eth. Now likely to have rage for Thunderclap and Mocking Blow as soon as you switch. (Possible Macro to equip sword’n’board, switch to defensive and mocking blow?)
Rejoice Warriors, and rush the Field of Victory to collect your spoils!